Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Labor Day Weekend!

After the football game on Saturday night, I quickly packed and cleaned up my dorm because I was heading home for the weekend! I know I know, L-A-M-E, but it was my Mom's birthday on Monday (Labor Day) and I could not miss that! Sunday morning after walking across I-35 to get my car from out in the boonies, I picked up a fellow Mechanical Engineering friend, Austin, and we headed back to H-Town! The ride was quite uneventful, lots of discussing classes, a quick Buc-ee's stop, and jamming to some music. When I got home, I talked a little to my parents and sister about things I haven't put in my blog, then did homework for a good 2-3 hours. We then went to my Tia's house to celebrate my mom's birthday! The great thing was my Grandma who lives in Laredo and my cousin who lives in Chicago both came to Houston to celebrate! I was able to tell my Grandma more about college in person, and I heard that my family actually reads my blog, so those were both super nice! We had great food, and then almost set the light on fire with a cake covered in FORTY-NINE candles! Yep, actually 49, it was pretty crazy. My mom blew out all but 4 of them on the first try, so I consider that a success! When I got back it was more homework (Chemistry), wrapping presents, and sleep!

In the morning, as per Dennington tradition, we sung Happy Birthday and gave my mom her gifts! Jennifer and I got her a UT shirt and a nice laptop case! My dad bought her a new mac laptop earlier this month and tickets to the Kathy Griffin Show in Houston! It also happens to be Jennifer's boyfriend, Stevie's birthday, so we made Mom breakfast and Stevie brownies! Jennifer is out celebrating with him right now, while I was busy doing even more Chemistry and my math homework! I was able to have a free hour (sorta) so I took the opportunity to catch up on Pretty Little Liars! For anyone that watches PLL, I do NOT believe Ezra is A. End of story. Then back to the chemistry/math grind, and finally 3 arrives and it's party time! We had some great hamburgers cooked by my dad, and I got to see a lot of my family members! Unfortunately, the festivities were cut short for me, and I drove back to Austin that night!

As soon as I got in town and texted some friends, I was bombarded with dinner invites! I swear being social goes hand in hand with eating food! So I said sure, and got some yummy JCL food! I happened to run into "the Luis" again and asked him all about his weekend! Eric, Andrew, and Alex also joined us for dinner and afterwords we proceeded to do more yucky math homework. Oh, I also set them straight on the difference between blog and tumblr, two totally seperate entities. Anyways, pretty boring, and I went to bed by midnight so I could wake up bright and early to go to 8am discussion! 

Today I actually met a lot of new people! I joined the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and attended the freshman meet and greet for that organization! A lot of kids from my FIG were there, as well as kids I met through orientation and new people as well! In my General Engineering (helper math class), I met even more people and specifically a fellow girl Mechanical Eng. who seems really awesome! Classes are going great, and I have been on top of my homework, so nothing to complain about! Sorry, there aren't really any pictures in this one, so if you made it to the bottom of this post, I am impressed. Thanks for reading!

-Katie

PS Today I also discovered a "Girl Advocate" mentor program for college/middle school students, so I think I am going to try and get involved with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment