Saturday, August 31, 2013

First Day and Game Day!

Just as I expected, the past few days have been CRAZY! Full of going to class, meeting even more people, hanging out, staying up late, and of course homework! My teachers all have been great so far. My math teacher, who I call Gus, is easy to understand and willing to stop and answers questions during lecture. He constantly says the words "Spicy" "Yes" and "Ooooooook". We are going over material I have learned already, so I decided to count how many times he said "Ok" it was 50, in half an hour. My chemistry teacher is also really great! She has a million different grad/undergrad students to help manage our class of 250, and is constantly creating videos for us to watch in order to learn better. Both of those teachers have me doing homework every day, but that is the life of an engineer, so I can't complain. My Mechanical Engineering teacher, Prof. Wood, is really chill and seems to have everything under control. He teaches general mechanical engineering, drafting, and computer drafting. My last teacher is for "Voice and Speech for Smarties". She is a theater teacher who is down to earth and super excited to be teaching the class. We will be doing a lot of presentations in her class, so I am looking forward to the semester! My "First Year Interest Group", a class of 20 kids who are in the same Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering class as well, seems to be a good group of kids. The upperclassmen mentors and tutors are super excited to begin and introduce us to campus. I am already in a group text message conversation with about 5 other kids, and we met up to work on a chemistry assignment the other day. I am so glad I have my "FIG", or else I would practically know no one in Chemistry! On a side note, I have to wake up at 6:30 am EVERY morning to eat breakfast at 7:00 am, to get to class across campus by 7:45. I meet up with some friends, Eric and Andrew, for breakfast. So far, we haven't been late, but we already have predicted that we are going to push the time farther and farther back throughout the semester, until we are finally late to class, and then we will have to go back to the original meet up time! I have also made a few other friends (mainly band kids) who have been super fun to hang out with! I went to the bowling alley last night with them, it cost $4.25 to bowl one game (AMAZING). Unfortunately for me, I suck at bowling and didn't even break 50. Yeah, 50. I had several frames where I got gutter balls. Actually, every frame I got a gutter ball... Oh well, maybe one day I will practice and be better! Anyways, college has been amazing so far, and I now understand fully why people say it's the best time of your life!




The first football game of the season was also today! Univ of Texas vs. New Mexico State University. My horns had me worried, we went almost an entire half before scoring, and even then we let the other team score before we did! Oh well, we ended up beating them 56-7, so I am ok with it! I had a lot of fun dancing in the stands, yelling "Give 'em Hell Give 'em Hell GO HORNS GO" and singing "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You". My seats were seriously the best as well. I am just above and to the left of BEVO and to the right of the band! And only 10 rows up! The student section stood all the way up until the 3rd quarter, at which point we were already killing the other team, so many people began to leave. LAME. I of course stayed until the very end of the game, and it was a good thing I did, because Texas scored one more goal within the last minute and a half! It pays to stay, and that's all I'll say. It was weird seeing the band, and not being a part of it, who knows what I will do next year. But for now, I had an AWESOME time at my first official Texas football Game!

No comments:

Post a Comment