Monday, August 19, 2013

Not Quite There Yet

Hello! My name is Katie Dennington, and I am an incoming freshman at The University of Texas at Austin and will be studying Mechanical Engineering (unless I change my mind). I am looking forward to my move to Austin on Friday, August 23 and can't wait to meet new people, go to Texas football games, and have adventures!

I began this crazy process of the "college life" by attending Orientation and Camp Texas. Both of these experiences were filled with hundreds of introductions of "Katie Dennington, Magnolia (Just outside of Houston, you know the Ren Fest?), Mechanical Engineering" so I met hundreds of people, but only befriended a couple! At Camp Texas, my group the "Raging Reptars" became really close, and I hope to see them again on campus. We, as a group, took 3rd place Cheer, cleanest color war team, and 1st place Skit! I think that our ability to work together as a group really enabled us to be so successful, not to mention there was this hilarious kid named Brian who really pulled through for the group. Even if I only meet up with these people a few more times during my time in college, I will always cherish the memories they gave me.



Although it might sound that I am completely enthused to move out and start a new chapter of my life, I can never forget my high school best friends. By my senior year of high school, ten young adults had found each other and formed "Big Dog Nation". The Big Dogs did Homecoming, Halloween, Christmas Band Concert, countless bonfires at homes, school plays, games of "Werewolf", Spring Concert, and of course Prom together! It might sound like a clique to many of you, and you are completely right, it was, but being a part of that group really allowed for each of us to grow and express our true personalities. There was no hiding who we were, we just got together and had good times. Yesterday, I watched on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, as five of my best friends moved into their new dorms at The University of Houston, Texas A&M University, Rice University, and Baylor University. It was so hard watching their social networking updates, knowing that those sites will be the main form of communication for the Big Dog Nation members. We have Google+ Hangouts in order to video chat, but knowing my best friends, it will be hard to get a lot on at once because everyone will be so busy and active! The rest of the "Big Dogs" move out this weekend, to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Sam Houston State University,  and TSTC. I will dearly miss all my friends, and I can only hope that I will find a group like that in college. I know the members of Big Dog Nation will all be successful and get exactly what they want out of life.
I know this is a pretty lengthy post (but it is only following the style of how I talk and tell stories in real life, long and almost never a point to it), and I doubt that I will ever have so much time to sit down and write another of this length. But I wanted to start it off on a good foot, so enjoy my crazy antics as I continue posting and be warned Star Trek WILL come up!

No comments:

Post a Comment