Thursday, September 5, 2013

Student Orgs!!!

So UT is amazing in the sense that there are over 1,000 student organizations you can join. But then it also kinda sucks, because you have to pick and choose which are the best to join and what fits your schedule! To help me keep semi-track I am making a list:

Student Org Palooza:

American Society of Mech. Engineers- paid dues, got shirt, applied to be freshman representative to the SEC (haven't heard back results). You get free food at all the meetings and various corporate sponsors come and give presentations. Already attended the freshman meet n great and the Chevron/Chikfila meeting!

Student Engineering Council- overarching engineering group. I joined the "freshman eng. council" portion of the group, because you have to do all sorts of crazy stuff to be a "member-at-large". They put on the engineering wide events, volunteer at local science places, free food. The usual. They haven't had meetings yet, but I really hope that I can get involved in this group!

GirlAdvocates!- Organization that advocates for younger girls. They have events that are aimed to teach girls more about the sciences, tutor at a local middle school, or mentor a younger girl in middle school during her lunch. This is the only non-engineering group I am looking at. I want to be a mentor and I know starting early on enough and putting the "fixed" lunch into my schedule, I can continue with it over the years. Need to pay the $15 membership fee and there is another meeting next Wednesday.

Engineers Without Borders- Org made up of students and professionals! They have an irrigation project in Peru (near the Andes) and a water sanitation project in Panama. This type of organization is honestly the reason why I am in engineering, so I am going to attend the next meeting that focuses on Panama and try to find out more about the projects/how it works. Once I decide, I have to pay dues!

That is my running list, at the moment! Then there are the things that I have to keep up with:


  • Register with Engineering Career Assistance Center
  • Hopefully attend EXPO 101
  • Attend EXPO (huge career fair)
  • Volunteer at EXPO as a Corporate Liaison (if they choose me)
  • Look into Study Abroad options (fair on monday)
  • Girls Volleyball vs Penn State @ Gregory Gym
  • Complete stuff off my Bucket List!
  • MAKE ALL A's, or maybe one B. As long as I have a 3.5...
Ok that's all, honestly this list is more for me than anyone else. But I figured I might as well post it!

-Katie





1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend! You are crazy though, I need more sleep than that. PS I am glad you liked the Turkish restaurant!!!!

    ReplyDelete