Monday, February 9, 2015

'Tis the Season

Well I have finally motivated myself to write another blog post! So here it goes...

This break was an awesome amazing winter break! I got home pretty late due to having a final on the last day of finals, but then I was off! I actually started the break by going to the trail of lights with Sephra and some of her friends! They are all super nice, and it was a classic cold weather evening to head off to the trail of lights!

Then I was back off to Houston! I mainly stuck around the house as everyone was super duper busy, but I did get to see the Biffles a couple of times and we exchanged Christmas gifts!

After that it was pretty much time for Christmas and then the CRUISE! We had Christmas Eve over at my Tia's house as per usual, and we ate some great empanadas (the meat was better this year)! Then we had Christmas Day over at my Grandma Cal and Grandpa's house, and we ate delicious homemade raviolis! It was awesome! Especially cool was that all of my grandparents were in town and I was able to see them over the holidays!

Now the biggest part of my Christmas break... THE WEEK LONG CRUISE!!!! This was the itinerary:

Boarding Day 1 in Galveston!
Day 1: Leave Galveston/Cruisin'
Inside of Ship
Day 2: Cruisin'
Day 3: Cozumel Mexico
Day 4: Roatan Honduras
Day 5: Belize City Belize
Day 6: Cruisin'
Day 7: Cruisin'
Day 8: Disembark

It was a great vacation, definitely Top 5 (#1 is still Yellowstone), and I think the entire family really enjoyed it! The breakdown of the ports is this:

Mexico is SO SO SO commercialized, but it didn't matter too much because we were going to swim with dolphins! We got to kiss a dolphin, ride on the fin of a dolphin, and be pushed by a dolphin while riding a boogey board! The water wasn't too cold, and it was a really nice day out! You can see by the pictures that the water is so crystal blue, it is ridiculous.
Outside of Ship

Then we went to Roatan which is an island off the coast of Honduras that is very new to the tourist life. We took a bus to the "nicer beaches" (aka where all the white people go) and we went snorkeling! The nice thing was that we didn't have to take a boat out to the reefs, we were able to just swim a little ways and then bam there they were! It had been raining that morning so it was a little cold, but we powered through and afterwards we just relaxed on the beach napping and reading as it warmed up! The pictures that look very tropical beach/jungle are the ones from Roatan!



After that we were off for Belize, and boy it did not disappoint. We went on a "jungle cruise" which was more of us going around a river, surrounded by jungle (sorta) and spotting out different animals! The real treat was heading out to Lamanai (Submerged Crocodile), where there were tons of old Mayan ruins. We got to see about 4 or 5 big temples, and then we also got to climb to the top of one! It was crazy the view from up there!! Our tour guide was really great and seemed to know all the facts, and described everything as "Un-BELIZE-able!" After all of these trips, we were back to cruisin'!

So all along, the first stop in Mexico, I met this girl name Emmalie. She happened to be a sophomore chemical engineer, from you guessed it, UT! Crazy huh? So pretty much after that, every night her and I would get dressed up and go hand out and be at the "Club" haha. Pretty much if you are over 18 and younger than 21, the cruise doesn't have anything for you to do. You are too old for the teen club (where jen spent most of her time), but too young to really hang out with the 21+'s. Luckily, Emmalie is very social and her sister is older, so we were able to meet some people and pretty much just danced and hung out with them until late at night! I can tell you that I slept until 11:30 am on Days 6 and 7 because I was so exhausted from the nights before!

All good things must come to an end though, so finally we disembarked in a cold and rainy Galveston, and I had caught the worst cold ever. It took over a week to get rid of the coughing and the runny nose, and I pretty much had to stick around the house that entire time. My Dad ended up catching it from me, and he ended up going to the doctor and had bronchitis! Whooooo.

Anyways a few other things I did, which I don't really have pictures of but I will tell you anyway are this: went to a Rockets game with James, went ice skating with Christina, Michelle, Andrew, and Kevin, made cut out cookies with Marissa, Abbi, Sarah, Jordan, Stephanie and Aelia, went bowling with Eric, Kevin, James, Andrew, and John, went to a HS basketball game with Marshall and Jacob, tried to go to top golf with my dad, Baylee, Marshall and Kopecky and ended up at willies, and I had a sleepover with the Biffles! Like I said, all in all a great vacation and it was really really hard to leave my family after all that time! But now I am back at school and things are going pretty smoothly. More details to come later!

-KD







1 comment:

  1. HOORAY FINALLY AN UPDATE (although I already knew all of this hahaha)

    ReplyDelete